Boston, Massachusetts 02109
CAM KERRY, former General Counsel and Acting Secretary of the United States Department of Commerce, has played a leadership role in addressing many of the biggest challenges facing business today, including consumer privacy issues and international discussions regarding the U.S. legal system for data protection. His broad practice operates at the intersection of law and technology and is informed by his years of government service and over three decades in private practice. Cam joins his wealth of experience in the highest levels of government with the global and inter-disciplinary resources of Sidley’s highly regarded Privacy, Data Security and Information Law team. In addition, Cam works on complex matters involving international trade relations, intellectual property policy, litigation, government affairs and communications.
Cam’s practice involves strategic counseling, regulatory guidance and litigation, and includes:
• Providing general counsels, chief privacy officers and boards of directors with strategic advice on global privacy and data protection compliance programs and information governance protocols.
• Advising on corporate cybersecurity preparedness, including deployment of the NIST Framework developed at the Department of Commerce.
• Representing companies in litigation and government investigations concerning alleged unfair or deceptive business practices regarding privacy and other consumer protection issues.
• Assisting clients to advance their objectives to promote international digital trade, cross-border data transfers, cloud services and innovative Big Data and new technology applications.
• Advising and representing U.S. and multinational companies regarding new EU Data Protection Regulation, and global “binding corporate rules.”
Throughout his life, Cam has been deeply involved in politics. During the 2004 presidential campaign, he was a close advisor and national surrogate for his brother, Democratic nominee John Kerry. The period when Cam served as Acting Commerce Secretary while his brother served as Secretary of State marked the first time in U.S. history that two brothers served in the Cabinet at the same time.
|Areas of Practice||1) Privacy, 2) Data Security and Information Law, 3) International Trade, 4) Government Strategies and 5) Complex Commercial Litigation|
|Law School||Boston College Law School (J.D., 1978), magna cum laude|
|Education||Harvard University (A.B., 1972), cum laude|
|Bar Member / Association||New York State Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association, Bar Association of the District of Columbia|
|Most recent firm||Sidley Austin LLP|
Legal Resume / Cover Letter Writer
We are looking for a reliable freelance writer that can write high quality resumes and cover letters for attorneys on a daily basis. These resumes and cover letters need to be catered to individual at...
Counsel, Vice President
Counsel, Vice President Responsibilities : The candidate will provide legal support for all aspects of company’s principal securities lending (referred to as “Enhanced Custody”) and the launch ...
Counsel, Vice President
Counsel, Vice President The candidate will be responsible for: Interacting with senior investment, product management, compliance, distribution and marketing professionals on a variety of matters pe...
|+ View more jobs|
A. Harrison Barnes is a well-known attorney throughout the United States. As a member of the Malibu community, Harrison is committed to serving the needs of Malibu residents and businesses in legal matters.
Benjamin P. Smith is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Litigation Practice. He is a trial lawyer with a particular focus on high-stakes disputes in the biotechnology, medical device, and internet industries.